Friday, January 22, 2010

Golden Slumbers Fill Your Eyes

Last night was Ian's school's 4th Grade's Winter Musical Performance. Ian was in the chorus.

One of the songs they performed was "Fairest Lady". I had never heard this song, or heard of it.

Here it is (but this is NOT Ian's school performance, btw):


But I have heard of the Beatles and this song:

Golden Slumbers


"Golden Slumbers kiss your eyes/ Smiles awake you when you rise"! Lyical Rip Off, composer of "Fairest Lady"!

Just not of the Beatles.

Because Paul took some of the words for "Golden Slumbers" from a 17th century poem by Thomas Dekker.

I never knew this until I was in graduate school and was reading poems in an anthology called The Golden Hind: An Anthology Of Elizabethan Prose And Poetry and I saw this:
Cradle Song:
Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise;
Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby,
Rock them, rock them, lullaby.
Care is heavy, therefore sleep you,
You are care, and care must keep you ;
Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby,
Rock them, rock them, lullaby.

Paul never tried to hide this fact; but, oddly, I had never heard about this genesis of "Golden Slumbers" until I stumbled upon it myself in my early 20s.

I have to say, I prefer Paul's tune in "GS" to the one used for "Fairest Lady". (This is only to be expected, though.)

After the concert, I told Ian: "You sang a Beatles song! Kinda ..." And when we got home, I played him "Golden Slumbers".

He didn't care for "GS" - probably because I insisted on playing it over and over and loudly singing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment