Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Numbers; Irish Lawyer Joke

This past Saturday, I was able to do a 12.2-mile run in 1:56:25 - a 9:30 pace. I had absolutely no pain in either knee, though I was a bit winded. Still, I can't be too upset with the pace. I think doing one run per week of 4-5 miles with those 10-pound weights tied to my ankles has helped both my wind and my creaky knees.

Last week, I ran 13.25 miles in something like 2:10:00. I'm pretty sure that's my longest run ever.
_____
My wife and I took Ian (our boy, 10) to visit with my brother and sister-in-law yesterday. We met them at their condo in the Art Museum area of Philadelphia and finally exchanged Christmas gifts. Because of busy schedules - theirs and ours - this was the first opportunity we had to get together for Christmas.

Had a great time. Got some good beer from my brother and sister-in-law, PLUS two tech shirts, one of which was long-sleeved. SCORE!

On Friday, my bother, who is a lawyer (he works for the Chief Justice of the PA Supreme Court), sent me this joke, which I find hilarious even though I'm not a lawyer. Maybe because I'm Irish.
In its original form, this story is sourced in the west of Ireland, where the plaintiff is pursuing a particularly dubious claim. The judge (this is an old story) is Ascendancy, Anglo-Irish, Trinity College. The plaintiff's barrister is a wily Celt. The exchange goes something like this:

Judge: Mr. Houlihan, is your client aware of the maxim in pari delicto potior est conditio defendentis?

Counsel: My Lord, in the bogs of Connemara they speak of little else.
_____
What I could have used in the middle of my run Saturday: WATER! (And maybe somebody's daughter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment