Saturday, October 16, 2010

Proud Dad

Ian played in his first ever organized league baseball game today. He play mostly right field, but also one inning of the six-inning game in left field. No balls were hit to him — so, zero errors ! Woo-Hoo!

Ian's team, the Orange Crush, won 8-5. Ian was not expected to do very well, this being his first game and all, but he got 3 at-bats and on the third, he hit a single through the hole between first and second and knocked in a run! Don't believe me?

Then lookee here:



That video includes Ian's first batting practice, his first at-bat (a strike out); his third at-bat (a clean single, i.e., not an error, in the hole between the first baseman and the second baseman; it knocked in a run from third, which was either the fifth run (which is what Ian thought) or the sixth (which is what I thought; if I was right, it was the winning RBI, because Teh Orange Crush won the game 8-5)); the really adorable 5-year-old bat boy for Ian's team; and, afterwards, a view of the sky outside Applebee's, where I took Ian for a post-game lunch to celebrate the great job he did.

Ian's team is actually pretty good; they made some pretty impressive fielding plays. Ian's friend, Chris, pitched, caught, and played short. He pitched the last couple of innings and, in the last inning, he caught two pop-ups and then threw a guy out at home for the last out of the game.

Ian and Chris stayed for an extra 15 minutes after the game to toss the ball around. Chris's Dad is one of the coaches of the team, and he and I chatted and I arranged to buy a couple of Chris's old bats from him at tomorrow's game (they weren't originally scheduled to play tomorrow; but now they are to make up for the rain out on Thursday). Chris's dad sez the bats are in pretty good shape, only a couple years old, and aren't the — *GULP* — $3001 ones Chris now uses(!!1!!!1!!).

And so after Chris and Ian were tired enough2, I asked Ian where he wanted me to take him for lunch — he'd had a great game, so I said, "Anywhere you want!"

Ian said, "Cheeburger Cheeburger."

And I said, "Anywhere. TGIFridays. Applebees. Wherever ..." (thinking, They don't serve beer at Cheeburger Cheeburger). 

 Ian sez, "Um ... Applebees?"

It was as though he'd read my mind or, alternatively, as though I'd said that part about no beer at Cheeburger Cheeburger out loud. Whichever. Tuh-MAY-toe, Tuh-MAH-toe.

In any case, belly full of Fiesta Lime Chicken and two 22-oz Sam Adams Octoberfest, I left Applebees with Ian ready to face my 5k race tomorrow morning and Ian's second baseball game at 1 p.m.

I Am A Good Father. A Good Beer-Filled Father3.

But aren't they the best kind?
__________________
1 At least it wasn't $300 Canadian.

2 In fact, it's more like After Chris's dad and I got bored enough because Ian and Chris showed no signs of letting up.

3 Okay, before you get all judgey on me here, Puritanical Reader, I want to remind you that Teh 'Bride missed Ian's first game because she's down in DC (see yesterday's post for details). Also, she'll miss tomorrow's game because she'll still be there; and she'll miss his next game because it's on Tuesday night, which is her late night at the library. So she won't see him play till next Saturday — his fourth game!1!

So just remember — I'm not the one on trial here!1! Teh 'Bride is the one on trial here!1!

Plus, could any dad with a killah @$$ like this one possibly be a bad dad?

Hahahahaha! Me in my Ibañez jersey that Teh 'Bro bought me for my birthday but didn't give me until last weekend when we visited him and Teh S-i-L in the Poconos.
Ibañez!1!!!

9 comments:

  1. Have you looked at the Canadian $ lately? Flirting with parity for a while, then you watch it next week! You're gonna be really glad those bats are in $A.

    How'd the kegger go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like he likes the high stuff...but a clean swing on that single to right! Proud papa! love it!

    enjoy your 5k tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is how you do a fucking baseball post!

    Woo hoo!! Congratulations to Ian, who is clearly the next [insert name of baseball player that is worth a shit and is a good person in real life as well]

    Have fun on your 5k tomorrow. If you come back with some sub 27 minute time talking about how slow you are I will kick you in your flat Irish ass.

    By the way, I do not exactly know the rules, but I do not think you get to claim "JoyRuN level Killah ass" status with a flat ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was your BEST POST YET.
    Ellie and I were just talking about sports and kids (she is a pretty damn good soccer player, who played varsity as a frosh in high school and had a scholarship offer in soccer to Marquette...and I was the backup QB--read: scared shitless--as a sophomore in high school) and I said whatever sport Eddy wants to play, he will, and she said NO he WILL play soccer, and then we talked about friends of ours who are dropping 2 GRAND on a winter (yes, midwest winter) baseball team and the kid is in 7th grade, and how we'd never do that.
    What was that rant? Not sure...except for the point that 300 is a lot for a bat, and the excitement in your voice just made me smile. I guess I've got so many thoughts in my head all at once, that I just decided run-on sentence was the way to go.

    I can't wait for those days in my future-the ones Ian is entering right now...and now I'm better prepared for Eddy's after seeing your approach to 'those days' in this video. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did that make any sense? Probably not, huh.
    I'll do better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheeburger near me serves beer. Wine too but I never heard anyone ask for a "Pounder" with a nice cab. $300 - Is that an A-rod signature bat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nic - Your comment absolutely made sense in the sense that, when we talk about our hopes and dreams for our kids, we have so much on our minds and in our hearts that it is nearly impossible for us to make sense because it all comes out in a rush, swept along by the boundless possibilities, the infinitude, we see before us every time we look in our kids' eyes.

    And so while I know you already know this, still, I'll just say: Don't spend too much of your time looking forward to what Eddy will do; take the time to enjoy what he's doing now. Because the time will come, when he's older and no longer doing some of those things, that you'll look back and say, "I should have enjoyed that more while I had it." I do this all the time with Ian. E.g., he recently started calling me "Dad" instead of "Daddy" and I knew this was going to happen but it still kinda breaks my heart a little, because I know it isn't coming back. That's just a small example.

    Even now, though, I see in Ian flashes of that little kid, and even that baby of ten years ago: He wants to be independent, but was really heart-broken and scared when Teh 'Bride went away for the weekend. Not neurotically so, but touchingly so.

    And so I often find myself looking backwards, to how he was, rather than enjoying how he now is, which is great! As you reminded me with your comment.

    Because I was just so proud of how he acquitted himself in his first organized sports outing; he knew more about baseball just from watching and learning on his own than I ever taught him, because his love of playing the game came so recently and suddenly that it caught me off-guard and I had no idea how serious he was. Though an only child, he is socially adept and, well ... just likable ... because before yesterday, he knew only one kid on his team, the boy Chris, with whom he goes to school, but by the time he went up for his third at-bat, the other kids on the team were chanting his name! Now, it may have been his buddy Chris who started the chant (I don't know), but even so, the rest of them joined in.

    This to me was a moment of FAR more import than his subsequent hit and RBI: He's already the boy, the young man, I want him to be.

    I think you can find those little sparkling gems at every stage of your kid's life.

    And they make us better, too, our kids; they make us engage in behavior that is truly selfless, because it is only after you've had a child that you realize that there is literally nothing you wouldn't do for another human being. And anything you did in your life before that that you thought was altruistic just pales in comparison.

    And so your heart contains more than your head can process and your mouth can say. And you end up doing what you did in your comment - trying to say it all in some sort of compressed way and you think no one could possibly get it but believe me:

    Everyone who has a child got it, Nic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And those of us without kids are paying hookers to call us Daddy.

    Do the Orange Crush use the R.E.M. song by that name for a theme? "Follow me, don't follow me. I got my spine. I got my Orange Crush." As sensible as that band gets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SQ wrote: And those of us without kids are paying hookers to call us Daddy.

    I told you that in confidence! Thanks a lot, friend!

    hmpf

    *smirks* leave it to SQ and I to fuck up a beautifully touching family post and equally beautiful comment exchange with Dr. Nic.

    Skillz. We got 'em.

    ReplyDelete