Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life Is Not Boring

My running mileage total for February stands at just under 71 miles. I ran yesterday. I could have run today, but I woke up late (for me: i.e., 3:45 a.m.; might just as well not have gotten up), so I opted not to run. My back is still recovering from whatever mysterious thing I did that injured it. It doesn't hurt that much anymore; it reminds me that it is still sore whenever I get up from sitting in my seat.

It'll be a challenge to run 90 miles this month, much less 100. My goal for the year being to run 1200 miles, I would have to average 100 per month. It's less than two months into the year and that already seems unlikely. Lately it's been a struggle motivating myself to go for a run. I run early in the morning so it's always pretty cold, even on days the temperatures end up being in the 40s; today, e.g., is supposed to get up to 43 degrees at some point, but at 4:00 a.m. it was 11 degrees, and that's not factoring in the wind chill. But it's not even the cold, because in many ways I prefer running in the cold to running in heat or humidity. Or at least I used to. When I do run, I find that the cold plays upon my mind more than it should; of late, my 6+ mile runs are at a pace that is usually closer to ten minutes than to nine. I haven't run at a sub-nine pace, or anywhere near it, in I don't know how long; I can't find the spark.

I wore light colored clothes to work today.

5 comments:

  1. Those last few weeks of winter really do a job of kicking you in the s@ck, every run you question, "when is it going to be over?!?!"...and then it is.

    71 miles in nothing to shake a stick at(twss)and you still have a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're running about the same pace; I'm just going further. Monday was my first day off in a while; I spent 5 hours shoveling instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZOMG!?!?!?! Seriously? The "egotistical douche-satchel" main character from Running The Sahara, is Charlie Engle. No big deal right?

    Well...in order to finance the ego driven trip, he took out several mortgages and basically defaulted on the loans. Later he admitted he never had any intention of repaying the loans. He is currently in the federal klink serving a 21 month sentence for mortgage fraud.

    To quote Matt Damon, "How do you like dem apples"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna be close to getting in 70 miles this month and I was ecstatic over that until I read this. 100 a month? Holy geez. Way to take the spark out of my snatch.........:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I stick to my program I'm gonna have 4.5 miles this month!!!!!!!!! OOOOOWWWWWWWW! I'm such a badass.

    Would I be a douche satchel if I told you it's gonna be 72 degrees in ATL today :)

    ReplyDelete